Name of the Organization
- The name of the organization shall be the TOLSTOI HOLY TRINITY CHURCH HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC.
Objectives of the Organization
- To repair, restore, and preserve the Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Tolstoi, Manitoba.
- To educate by collecting and displaying historical artifacts from the Roman Catholic Church, the Polish settlement, and the community of Tolstoi.
- To obtain historical status for the building.
- Membership is open to anyone who supports the aims of the group.
- A person must be at least 18 years of age to be a member.
- There is no cost to membership.
- Any person wishing to become a member should complete a membership form. Members living in the same household may submit a single form.
- A list of members will be kept by the secretary.
- All members have equal rights, including voting rights at meetings of the members. To be eligible to vote, a person must be a member before the start of the meeting.
- Membership terminates upon resignation, death, expulsion, or the end of the corporation. A terminated member has no membership rights.
Board of Directors
- A director must be a member.
- The board shall consist of a minimum of three and a maximum of seven directors. At least three directors must be present at a board meeting.
- Officers include Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer. Officers are decided by the board and, except for the Chair, need not be a director.
- Questions are decided by the majority of directors’ votes, with the Chair only casting a vote in the case of a tie.
- The board may make, amend or repeal any bylaws, effective until the next AGM, when it shall be voted on by the membership.
- Directors shall be elected for a two year term, except for the first AGM where three directors are elected for one year, and the remainder for two years.
- A director may be nominated for election if supported by at least two members.
- Nominations may be made to the Chair before the meeting, or at the meeting.
- The nominated director need not be present at the AGM but must have indicated acceptance of the nomination.
- An annual general meeting will be held within 90 days after fiscal year end.
- Quorum at a general meeting shall be 11 members, and a simple majority of votes is required with the Chair abstaining. If the votes are tied, the Chair may cast a vote.
- Members shall be notified of the time and place of a meeting, 21 to 60 days before the meeting date, by sending information to the address on record by the preferred communication means.
- Other general meetings may be called by the board of directors. A group of at least five members may also petition the board to call a general meeting.
- General meetings are open to anyone, but only persons who are members at the start of the meeting may vote.
- The financial year end shall be March 31.
- The bank to be utilized will be at the discretion of the board of directors.
Note: The bank currently used is the Community Credit Union, Vita Branch.
- Two officers must sign any legal or financial documentation including cheques.
- Annual financial statements will be available on-line and at the Annual General Meeting. Any member can request a copy by contacting the Secretary.
Changes to the Constitution
- Changes to by-laws or the constitution must be approved by a simple majority at the annual general meeting.
- A special general meeting may be held to vote on dissolution of the corporation. Notification of the meeting will be the same as for any general meeting.
- The church property will be returned to the Diocese.
- All other assets and funds, once outstanding debts have been paid, will be donated to a local charitable organization, as decided upon at the dissolution meeting.